I'm getting into the game a bit later than planned, and I'm certainly not competing for prizes - but I will ask those of you out there so inclined to drop by and leave a donation for research. Additionally, if you follow the links you'll find that several other organizations are helping out & even throwing in free stuff. Everyone wins, and hopefully some great research gets accomplished.
Additionally, if you're a man, I'll urge you to get checked at your regular physicals. If you're a woman, remind your male friends. A lot of these things are much easier to treat the earlier they're caught...
EDIT - my donation link is the top one, please take a moment to follow it to Livestrong and leave an amount you feel appropriate. Thanks again.
Prostate Cancer Facts:
- About 240,890 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed in 2011.
- About 33,720 men will die of prostate cancer in 2011.
- About 1 man in 6 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime.
- More than 2 million men in the United States who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point are still alive today.
- Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer.
- About 1 man in 36 will die of prostate cancer.
Testicular Cancer Facts:
- It most often affects men between ages 20 and 39.
- It affects 8,000 men a year, and kills 390 of them.
- It is the most common form of cancer in men ages 15-34.
- 95% of cases can be cured if detected early.
Finally, my own kilted pic will make an appearance soon, in full spirit of the fun.