“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Friday, January 21, 2011

◦Day 11 – A book that disappointed you

As Time Goes By - the sequel written for Casablanca.

I've loved the movie since I first saw it on TV as a kid, and it is one of the staples in our collection. Particularly for the fact that there are so many intriguing characters - not just Rick and Ilsa, but all of the others about the scene - people you wonder at their pasts, their own tales, and where they end up.

But the fact that the movie ends without answering all of that (much like real life) is one of the strong points I guess. The book was an attempt to follow things beyond the movie, but IMHO just was unable to succeed. Perhaps it was merely a case of the bar being set too high - it doesn't give you much to work with really.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it was The Exorcist by William Blatty. After having the bejesus scared out of me at the movies, I thought the book should certainly be better. It was not. The follow-up, Legion was even worse. I've never read Blatty again.