“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

◦Day 02 – A book that you wish more people had read

First off, thanks for the replies from those who shared - interesting to see how many of us share the same tastes in books and such.

For day two, I may surprise some with my choice - which is the Bible (Judeo or Christian version of your choice).

No, I'm not about to turn all religious on here.

The thing is - more good and bad has been done from what this book says, and more importantly what people THINK it says, over the last 2000 years than any other individual cause.

People have used the teachings to motivate them towards incredible feats of kindness, sharing, sacrifice, bravery and every other noble cause possible.

But, unfortunately, it has also been used to justify some of the most horrible, cruel, and depraved acts in the same time.

Yet with all this the great majority of those guilty have not read the work in question, instead cherry-picking their verses to fit the cause of the moment, and missing the message behind the whole.

So, I think that if more people actually took the time to read and think about this incredible work - whether you call it history, inspired faith, or simply a good allegory for living - that so many of these same people might hopefully change for the better.

Just my thoughts.

6 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

I agree with your conclusions about the Bible, my vocation notwithstanding.

Daddy Hawk said...

I can simply say I concur wholeheartedly.

Josh Kruschke said...

I'm always a little surprised buy how many people suport or denounce something knowing very little about it.
:-(

GunDiva said...

I agree, though it's been twenty years since I last read the Bible cover to cover. What a great choice.

Wandering Soul said...

My answer to #2 ~ The 9/11 Commission Report

Unknown said...

I suppose it would have to be American History for Dummies. So many folk seem to have never learned much about our great country's history, or have forgotten what little they learned in school.