“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Sunday, January 16, 2011

◦Day 06 – Your favourite writer

This is another tough one - how do you narrow down just one author that is your favorite, particularly when you've been reading your whole life? There are far too many authors who have influenced me, whose work I have enjoyed and who I eagerly read when possible. Along with that, their are writers who I love for one or two of their works, but have other things I don't care for at all.

But, for my choice for this I will use P.J. O'Rourke. Like many others I have enjoyed his wit and humor throughout the years, since I first discovered him in my late teens. But I have also enjoyed his insights into society and world affairs, his ability to provide political and social analogies which explain so many of the issues of our days, and the eloquence of a fellow thinker.

Whether sarcasm or serious, wit or wisdom, Mr. O'Rourke's works have never failed to entertain.

6 comments:

suz said...

Yup. Hard to pick one, but I recommend Erik Larson to anyone looking for a good book. "Isaac's Storm" is in my top 10, and Larson is consistently good.

Josh Kruschke said...

I'm going to go with Ayn Rand; as, I can believe I only came across her books in the last couple of years but they resonated deeply with my core beliefs. I do believe they have the power to change the world... oh well.

She's my choice.

Wandering Soul said...

Favorite writer...I have 2 ~ Michael Connelly and John Douglas

suz said...

For the Juv/YA crowd, Richard Peck! I STILL read him, and I started in junior high. "A Long Way From Chicago" is one of the BEST books I've ever read!

Dori said...

You wrote "favourite" with a "u"...that made my Brit heart smile!

Unknown said...

Richard Matheson at the moment. I do like Stephen King, but I find he is more than capable of pushing out crap when the mood strikes him.