“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Thanks all!

Appreciate the birthday wishes from everyone - always nice to hear from friends, even if only on the interwebs!

As I said, last night was another DUI hunting expedition. Can't recall if I've mentioned it, but one of the freedoms I have been lucky to get at work is being part of a small group who gets to go out on these specials. Basically they looked at a group of us they know like doing DUIs, are competent at it (not always the same thing, like anything else), and asked us to take a few nights each month and just concentrate on that. It's separate from my normal duties, but it's also overtime money which is always helpful. It's nice as well as I'm not tied to the radio, answering calls or doing stuff like that - and I'm also not stuck in an office doing paperwork or any of that joy. Just get to ride around & hunt & play the game when I find them.

So yes, last night was successful yet again. I always find it humorous doing these, in that it is the epitome of much of police work from the patrol standpoint - hours of nothing, punctuated by an unexpected moment of excitement. I spent the first 3 1/2 hours just looking - a few simple stops but nothing that developed into anything. One of those things which is very frustrating to my type of personality, as I start feeling like I'm wasting my time and not getting anywhere, and not accomplishing anything... Sure, some nights you don't find anything, it's just the nature of the job - but I hate those, as I like to think I can at least get a few tickets and maybe some sort of arrest, even if I can't find a drunk.

Of course, right around the time I'd gotten to my maximum frustration level and was just going to take a break & get a drink to clear my head, I see the car in front of me. They're having trouble figuring out what lane they are in, can't figure out a consistent speed and just giving me all those little hints. Nothing huge - not running off the road, driving the wrong way or anything like that but definitely enough for my experience to say "This is the one." Even enough that when I do the initial stop I go ahead and call for my backup before I even talk to the driver, because I can see what is coming.

Yep, she was drunk. Fortunately for me and my evening she was a happy drunk as well - not one to gripe, curse or do any of that. In fact, she was madder at herself for being behind the wheel, saying "I should have just stayed where I was." than mad at me - always a nice change from some of the others I have dealt with over the years.

I won't bore everyone with the details of the arrest or any of that tonight. Suffice it to say that I earned my money, kept this person from hurting herself or someone else, and did it all in a way to keep both the citizens and my work happy with me. Just another of those reminders that I am very blessed to have found a job that I not only love doing, but am good at doing - a combination to be thankful for.

2 comments:

Front Porch Society said...

It is always nice when you get a happy drunk instead of a mad, fighting drunk. Makes the whole process go a whole lot smoother.

Hunting out the OWI's are my favorite type of traffic stops. Anytime I can get a drunk off the streets and saves lives in the process is a good thing. :)

clady said...

Happy to hear you had a good night. As a mom, I appreciate hearing there's one less drunk on the road. Keep up the good work. And Happy Belated Birthday too.

Be safe.
Chris