“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The hits just keep on coming

Guess you could call this a follow-up to yesterday's post, these were the selections from today's stop (during part 1 of 5 attempts to get home on time):

Me - "I understand you don't have the registration to this car, I stopped you because these plates don't belong on it in the first place."

Citizen - "But I just bought it last month, I promise I'm going to DMV this week!"

Me - "And when were you going to get insurance on it?" (This is called playing a hunch, and frequently...)

Citizen - "I had it on the other car, I just need to switch it over. Can't you just cut me a break?"

Which then led to a long tirade as the car was being towed away...

Does anyone else have these conversations in law enforcement, or is it just me?

3 comments:

Front Porch Society said...

Yes.

One night, a guy we stopped had no current tags, no current insurance, and Dl was being suspended in 3 days time. He claimed he had gone to the DMV that morning to get new tags but just hadn't put them on yet.

The kicker? The day was a holiday. The DMV was closed. He didn't like me too much when I called his BS story and nailed him for everything. I think he ended up with close to $500 in fines.

Bet he won't be using the "I just went this morning and haven't put them on yet" excuse again anytime soon! haha!!

Dori said...

j-o-b s-e-c-u-r-i-t-y

Keep 'em coming...baby needs a new pair of shoes!

Officer "Smith" said...

I assure you, it is NOT just you.