“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

It is much easier to become a father than to be one. ~ Kent Nerburn


Most people are taking today to thank all of us fathers, which is appreciated. My post though will be a thanks for the opportunity to try to be a good father to my own children.

My parents divorced when I was young, and I never saw my father again after that point - he had his reasons for the distance; I can't say I approve of them but I understand them. Be that as it may, I was one of many children raised by a single mother. Someone who worked hard and sacrificed in ways I never even imagined til years later in order that my brother and I had a home and a good example in life. So, my male role models were older family friends and I was never afforded those opportunities which a lot take for granted.

Then, after my wife and I were married, we eventually decided to have children - something I had wanted, but we had to reach the "right" time for (is it EVER really the right time? Because people have no idea what they are getting into!) Which led to the next drama - between my wife and I both having a few medical issues, after a couple of years of unsuccessful effort we were told the odds of us having children were about zero. Talk about killing that dream. This of course led to the discussions - fertility treatments, adoption, foster care etc... and we pretty much just were going along with what life gave us at that point and stopped even worrying about it.

Until one day, after a long night at work, my wife rushes in with a home pregnancy test, shoving it in my face & asking me "What do you see?" The worry over the next few months as the doctor's continued to assure us the baby was still there, was healthy and growing. The completely unexpected miracle of Jacob being born on a summer's morning. This little boy who is brilliant, with a wonderful imagination and loving heart.

Fast-forward two years later and another unexpected wonder as Kyleigh arrived - apparently Dori's and my plumbing just had to wait to work on their own! A beautiful, smart, stubborn girl to compliment her brother.

Although I had gotten to the point that I never expected to actually "be" a father, I have found myself with not one, but two incredible opportunities to do my best at it. There are no words to describe the joy in my heart in helping them grow and learn; the way that their faces light up and they run to the door when I get home, or how they can go from laughing and playing to just wanting to snuggle and hug and trust me to protect their world.

There are plenty of people out there who have fathered children, and a lot that don't give a damn about it once that moment is done. But I cherish and am grateful every single day for the opportunity God has presented me, and the wife that I get to do this with - the two incredible children I have been given the chance to guide and watch grow.

I hope your Father's Day is just as blessed.

4 comments:

Dori said...

As we are incredibly blessed with you!

Sean Galt said...

Fantastic post, amigo. I hope your kid time yesterday was as much fun as mine was. It is truly a joy to be a Dad.

clady said...

Beautifully worded post. I feel the same way about my girls. Children are truly a blessing.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Always a pleasure to read your posts, Sean. Thanks for letting us feel our way through the good stuff, as well as the bad.