“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Random bits from another DUI hunt

Yes, did some more overtime hours last night on a special. Easy money & beats a lot of the other off-duty jobs that people will work.

- While driving around in the sub-freezing temperatures, during the first part of the gig & having no luck, I had the observation that Momma Fargo can keep that cold weather drunk hunting stuff... Don't know how you survive in it for months at a time.

- Apparently it was high-school party night, as three of the drunks we picked up were in that demographic. Wonder how that looks on the college or job application - getting your first DUI before you even hit 21?

- Mine came with the added bonus of two underage passengers. One of whom started the encounter by lying about her age, then acting all surprised when I asked for her ID and she had to fess up - because I'm magically going to take her at her word? She was also the one with the rather-frustrated parent, as this apparently wasn't the first time she'd been called in the middle of the night to come pick her daughter up from the cops...

- As for the other parent, no, if your son had passed all the tests and not had any alcohol in his system, he wouldn't have been charged - the little piece of paper in his hands obviously says otherwise...

4 comments:

Community RN said...

oh come on it's not that cold!! I think the trick is Long undies!

xx
C.

Captain Tightpants said...

I had two pairs of long undies on plus my vest and uniform, plus a coat - it was still cold!

Gothelittle Rose said...

My trick with cold weather is to top off whatever I'm wearing with one of the few things I've known to properly repel cold:

Fur

Leather

Wool

Goosedown

My winter boots are leather, my 'light' winter coat is wool, and my 'heavy' winter coat is goosedown and a longcoat. The best winter garment I've ever had for the cold, though, is my full-length thick-wool cloak. Nothing penetrates it.

I don't know how it is in Fargo, but in Connecticut the real sting comes with wind chills. Your coat can't just be passively warm. It has to protect against the wind.

Wandering Soul said...

And that is why I moved AWAY from that nasty white stuff!!! :)

Yeah, I am sure colleges are not thrilled when they see applicants with a rap sheet already. *shaking my head* I guess I will never understand why someone wants to throw away their future over a few drinks....