“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Bits

- Regarding the name change for those who wondered - for various reasons, I wanted a bit more distance on the blog between it & my "real" life. Not that a good search can't find stuff, but I don't want to make it easy for folks. So, I took a name Kaylee used for Mal in one of the episodes & used that. Hope that explains.

- Heat is still out for at least one more day, if not longer. Previous owners, being cheap on some of the upgrades, apparently used an electrician who installed the system with substandard wiring. The lucky part is we avoided a house fire and any associated damage. Unfortunately, this has my tropical wife less than happy as we deal with the minimal circles of warmth our space heaters provide.

- Merlin has a funny one here about the things you don't know before raising children. However, he left out some of the key parts:

  • Despite how cynical, tired, and everything else you are on those late night feedings, prepare yourself for the burst of warmth in your heart when a tiny face looks in yours and smiles in wonder at mommy and daddy.
  • No matter how educated and experienced you are, see the world in a new way every day as your child asks questions, learns about things, and explores on their own journey.
  • Have a really crappy day at work, feel tired and worn out, and have zero desire to relate to any other human - til you walk in the door and are met with the cries of joy and leaps into your arms of young lives who consider you the most wonderful person on the planet.
Being a parent is beyond a doubt the most challenging and terrifying thing I have done in my life - it has stretched the boundaries of my patience, endurance and sanity more than I can mention.

It has also brought me joys and accomplishments I would have never imagined, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

3 comments:

Daddy Hawk said...

Aha. I figured it was something like that. Let me know when you decide to head off to the "special Hell".

Community RN said...

Ahh I figured the name change was somthing to do with that! Glad you're still here though!!

Oh nose! I hope the heat goes back on soon!!!

xx
C. RN

Joi said...

Heh. I always loved that particular name for Mal.

"I think that's the buffet table."

"But how will we know unless we question it?"

Man, I miss Firefly...