“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Saturday, January 22, 2011

◦Day 12 – An book you’ve read more than twice

This one is funny - apparently it's not "normal" for people to read something twice? Because I have a significant number in my library which I've read at least twice, if not five or more times...

I've already mentioned The Lord of the Rings. Other entries in the "frequent read" category are The Matador novels by Steve Perry; the Spenser novels by Robert B. Parker (particularly Early Autumn); the Takeshi Kovacs series by Richard Morgan; John Bellair's childrens stories; anything by P.J. O'Rourke; Katherine Kimbriel's Alfreda stories; Manly W. Wellman's Silver John stories; Adam Hall's Quiller novels; Jim Butcher's Dresden Files; Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series; Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber... that's just off the top of my head, and there are several others.

5 comments:

Gothelittle Rose said...

I've read nearly everything in my library at least twice, plus many other books not in my library. I don't understand people who read something, love it, and never read it again. I can quote parts of LOTR from memory and give you all the tiny details on all the tiny parts.

Daddy Hawk said...

I'll see your thoughts and raise you a question: how many books have you had to REPLACE from reading them so often that they fell apart? It's probably easier to ask which books I HAVEN'T read more than once. The book I've probably read more times than any other is Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers. LOTR is in that category. I need to find them in hard cover so they don't disintegrate quite as fast.

Captain Tightpants said...

Agreed with you both - and K, that's exactly why I have certain volumes in hardcover - because I know I plan to not only keep reading them, but to pass them down someday.

Meadowlark said...

The Caine Mutiny.

Again and again and again and again. But it's much different at 47 than it was the first time I read it (the condensed RD version) at 9 and at 24 as a former Marine. That's what makes those books so amazing - our lives change our interpretation, almost making it a new story.

GunDiva said...

Holy Cow! I've read some of my books so many times that they've literally fallen apart. My husband, though, remembers every word he's ever read and rarely reads a book more than once.