“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Sunday, January 23, 2011

◦Day 13 – Favorite childhood book

The House With a Clock In Its Walls by John Bellairs.

Nothing but an enjoyable read, well-done for all ages to enjoy and cherish. One of the highlights of last year was when Jacob decided he was ready to sit & listen to the whole thing. And one of the books I made sure to keep in hardback to pass on down the road.

7 comments:

suz said...

C D B! by William Steig. I recently rediscovered it in my library, an it's as good as ever! C d b. D b s a bz b.... Who needs whole words?

Sweet Biscuit Bakery said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Momma Fargo said...

Sounds like a great book. Thanks for the tip!

Dori said...

And it was one of his illustrated by the great Edward Gorey...

Gothelittle Rose said...

My favorite childhood book has always been and will remain "A Little Princess" by Frances Hodges Burnett.

It was the first book I read with a little girl who really *was* just like me in the way she thought and the things she did. Anne of Green Gables was close, but I wasn't really a clumsy girl with a big imagination... I was a storyteller with a huge imagination which I used to get me through my worst days in *exactly* the same way Sara did.

If you've seen one of the movies, it probably hasn't captured the essence of that... you'd have to read the book.

Unknown said...

I think it would have to be The Borrowers. I also remember I liked The Coral Island very much -- which I read one summer while staying in England with my grandparents.

Josh Kruschke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.