“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Presented for your amusement

Apparently the U.S. Army recently commissioned a study of Explosive Ordnance Disposal personnel, trying to evaluate both school success and post-trauma issues.

The study came back with the following evaluation of EOD Techs across the services as a generalization:

"Functioning sociopaths with latent homosexual tendencies."

and yes, I am quoting. :D

7 comments:

randompawses said...

What morons. "Latent homosexual tendencies" - really?!? Seems pretty damn normal for me for someone to like to see things go BOOM!

wv: "pityroar" = What those so-called "experts" are doing because they're jealous of those who do get to blow things up.

Daddy Hawk said...

In my experience, "functioning sociopath" applies to 90% of the population. The other part, I got no clue. Nothing. Perhaps playing with ticking time bombs is a metaphor for their latent homosexuality?

Community RN said...

*bink*

what the heck does homosexuality have to do with ANYTHING? and who the fuck cars anymore *rolls eyes*

C.

TOTWTYTR said...

Well "Captain Tightpants" might, just might, mind you, tend to play into that characterization. ;)

Like most "studies" by people in the soft sciences, it says more about the people doing the study than the subjects thereof.

Josh Kruschke said...

This reminds me of a study I was shown about fire fighters done by the Navy (Never Again Volunteer Yourself) as I was a Navy Fire Fighter and they thought it would help?
If I remember correctly the finding where like 85% of all Fire Fighters where pyromaniacs, 10% suffered from Arsonphobia and 5% where normal. I was like WTF.
it all made sence when you looked at the definitions and the questions asked.

Pyromaniac - Anyone exhibiting a lack of fear and an unhealthy fascination with fire.
So if they asked you do you fear going into a burning room, and you answered no not really it's part of the job. They would put a check mark by Pyro. If they asked you a question like, what do you think of fire and you said it's the beautiful beast its kind of pretty inthat mistical mesmerising kind of way. a nother check by pyro.

Now on to Arsonphobia- Fear of fire. Not as I orginaly thought fear of starting fires. So, if they asked you what do think of fire, and you said anything like, I realy like puting out fires and fire can hurt people so they need to be controled. yo got a check mark by arsonphobia.

Know if you where a slacker or none-committal and gave a buch of answers like, I don't know never thought about it or uh... what ever. You got the normal check mark.

I would like to see how they set up the one for EOD Techs.
lol :-)

Anonymous said...

?! Wha the? People do say some of the stupidest things sometimes. But, I do wonder-- are they saying that homosexuals are more courageous and capable of handling a crisis situation? And mischievous does not a sociopath make:) Just sayin'.
TOTWTYTR's comment about Captain Tightpants made me laugh-- rilly rilly hard. *snicker*

Captain Tightpants said...

Oh trust me, the whole thing has been met with much amusement on the part of the community - leading to a great many laughs, comments and jokes in the short time we've been aware of it. Bomb guys tend to have good senses of humor & thick skins, so I think all will take it as such.

But yes, as pointed out, many times the biases of the questioner are apparent in the results of such surveys...