“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

◦Day 08 – Your favourite work in translation EDIT

Can't come up with one for this easily - I'll come back to it if I think of one.

Sorry for the delay, been a busy few days...

I thought of one yesterday but wasn't able to post til now - in line with Joshkie actually - the Go Rin No Sho (A Book of Five Rings) by Miyamato Musashi. An excellent work on both tactics and strategy, whether a student of the sword, martial arts or life in general.

And, with respect to Mr. Erickson, I had considered the Bible - but it didn't meet the criteria I needed ( a reflection of my character and not of the book itself).

3 comments:

Daddy Hawk said...

May I suggest the Bible as it has been translated from the original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek.

Josh Kruschke said...

"Bushido Shoshinshu" (Code of the Samurai) written by Daidoji Yuzan. I have a contemporary dual... language edition translated by A.L. Sadler.

Here are my reasons. This book was writen as a primer for young Bushi to use and study from. It's written in a strate forward style that leaves little for interpretation. It help me put all other works on the bushi code into perspective.

:-)
Josh

W.V. reber. Jayne, "Those gosh darn Rebers are coming."

Unknown said...

I got nothin' ...