“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Fighting the urge...

More and more I wish I could use a clue-bat (preferably formed from a rolled-up copy of the Constitution) the various idiots who call 911, wasting our time & everyone else's, and asking us to violate someone else's rights because they find something bothersome or offensive.

"You need to stop this car/person walking/stranger because I've never seen them before and they look suspicious."

"OMG, I saw a man with a gun in a holster at the store, do something!"

"There are people riding their motorcycles on their own property and I don't think they're being safe about it."

"I saw so-and-so do something wrong three weeks ago, why can't you just go arrest them for it now?"

Ad nauseum... An endless parade of Nosy Nellies who think it's not only their job to worry about your business, but also a requirement to direct their own personal police force to Make Things Right.

And the two biggest ironies - #1, these are the same ones who would go nuts in a heartbeat if you suggested doing the same prying into their own lives (and don't see the hypocrisy of asking you to violate someone else's protections;) and #2, have absolutely no grasp of the fact that for every moment the police spend having to deal with this crap, we are unable to deal with a true emergency. And, even worse, you get those young, stupid, or just over-zealous officers who then mentally make the BAD jump to thinking they CAN do this crap - and then we're stuck looking worse and trying to fix their mess.

Rant off...

6 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

"Arrest him, officer - he's going to speed!"

Yep. Been there; had to put up with it, too. Finally decided to saturate the force with my absence.

Farm.Dad said...

Back in the day one of my Mantras was " God save me from concerned citizens , and Hurry ". LOL

Anonymous said...

I'll only get nosy if it's harmful to me, my family or others. Other than that, if people want to be stupid and pull a Jackass on themselves, all I can say is where's the popcorn LOL

Dori said...

But..but...but...my taxes pay your salary! Oh...wait...

Nick said...

Reminds me of the people who defend their rights to "free speech" and in the same breath try and denounce people with other views and stop them from expressing themselves.

Reminds me of how my parents would always remind me that "common sense" isn't.

MSgt B said...

Holy crap!

You work in my town...