“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Sunday, April 11, 2010

ummmmmm

Sorry for the dearth of posts. Had a long week here - work stuff, trying to catch up on school, and family & house time. All of it added up together to leave me worn out & burnt out, not sleeping well & certainly didn't feel up to blogging. Fortunately the weekend off has restored me somewhat, and hopefully I'll be able to catch up on all the things I need this week.

A few random notes from the week:

- Consistently surprises me the number of people who leave taped up, empty boxes around different parts of the city. Each time requiring us to be called out & check things out before we can clear it all up. Hasn't anyone heard of a trashcan anymore?

- To the random Pakistani military officer who emailed me seeking to "exchange professional information on IEDs;" you'll have to forgive me if I am disinclined to acquiesce to your offer.

- We've had a wonderfully warm start to the spring so far. It's helping the plants to grow and keeping things nice and warm and comfy around the house. Just hoping it doesn't turn into an overly hot summer.

- About to head out of town for a few more days of training, leaving my poor wife to deal with stuff on her own during one of her busy weeks. Hopefully it goes quickly and the world is merciful on her.

- Looking to replace the old grill/smoker combo, as this one is probably on the last season... Has anyone out there had experience with the Big Green Egg type of grills? Looks like our #1 choice right now, but we are open to ideas...

6 comments:

Angela said...

RL takes over our blogging commitments sometimes. Take time to yourself too we'll survive with out ya;)!

xx
Jaxs
Ps. how is your little one?

Anonymous said...

Big green egg. Apparently you can roast a turkey with only a few grains of charcoal!

Heheh, I was looking into one several years ago, couldn't find any downsides except for possibly square inches of cooking area, but just couldn't afford one at the time.

Jon said...

A buddy of mine has one, as Pirate King noted, its a little small on the overall cooking surface, but it sure does a great job as a grill. And the wood you're supposed to use with it leaves a nice smoky flavor. I'd get one myself if I A: Cooked more and B: didn't have a perfectly functional gas grill that covered my needs most of the time.

Front Porch Society said...

That pakistani email would have been a red flag for me! Probably some terrorist pretending to be someone else just so he can get information.

Firelady said...

Big Green Eggs are awesome. If I could afford one right now, I'd have one (I don't even have a grill currently). I would suggest if you're handy with tools, to buy one of the largest eggs and build the table yourself.

KD5NRH said...

Don't you have a Parks and Recreation Department or similar with a lot of extra employees to deal with those empty boxes?