“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Random moments from the day

- Did get to spend some brief time on my own stuff at the range, which was nice. Gotta love free ammo these days.

- Picked up and disposed of another Civil War cannonball. Always amazes me the number of people who have had these sitting in their houses for years, and just now realized they might be hazardous...

- Had to recalibrate one of the normally competent fire marshals when they failed to call us - just because the smoke bomb has "already gone off," there's still the important "B" word there for us to check out TYVM...

- No yelling at the range today - always nice when the competent people show up.

- Apparently lawnmowers work better when they get a tune-up more frequently than every three years. Just in case you were curious.

- My poor wife not only cooked a nice dinner, so as I could get said lawn mowed; she then had to deal with cleanup, bath and bedtimes all on her own, as I had gotten called out to walk the dog through some mud and thorns for a while.

Seeing as a I have a "to-do" list THIS long, I should be doing something besides blogging right about now...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cannonballs? I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how those could be deemed "potentially hazardous"; they don't have explosives in them (as far as I'm aware, anyways).

Grenades and landmines, those I could understand being classed as 'potentially hazardous' - heck, not even potentially! There are probably at least half a dozen people eligible for Darwin Awards each year, for mucking around with explosives.

Captain Tightpants said...

A great many cannonballs contain black powder. They are not all just big metal balls - they were designed to explode in order to increase the damage.

Which does not become less hazardous with age, or after being wet.

So yes, they do still have explosives in them.

Angela said...

I have a couple of cannon balls...

That being said the ordnance was cemented long ago and is no longer explosive!

Also maybe you should be working on the Honey-do list rather than blogging! lol!

xx
Jaxs

Meadowlark said...

I"m glad I'm not the only one who thought cannonballs were just big metal balls. I didn't know there might/might not be gunpowder inside. Wow.

Jon said...

Its not common knowledge, and it wasn't horribly common until the fifty or so years before the Civil War.

But the Civil War was a new weapon designers wet dream where they got to try out all sorts of new ideas with a couple centurys old tactics.

The results were understandably brutal.

Anonymous said...

"Hey ya'all, watch this!"
Yep. Darwin awards candidates for sure.