“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Brief end of year post

Today was a much better day (in terms of my performance) at work - still a ways to go, but some of the dog stuff is starting to make sense. And yes, it is far more than just grab the leash and walk around, for those who wonder! But, we got some good training in & ended the week well.

I plan to take the family in this weekend when I feed and clean him to start the introductions - my partner can't come home to stay with us until I'm off light duty, so he's currently at the police kennels. I'll try to get a picture or two if he bothers to sit still long enough - right now he rivals Jacob for energy and desire to run around.

I should probably do some nice, introspective end-of-the-year discussion, but I just don't feel like it tonight. A lot happened this year - some good, some bad, some I couldn't control, plenty I brought on myself. But, all-in-all - my life is ending this year better than it was 365 days ago, and for that I am grateful.

I have a wonderful family I never dreamed of. A wife of beauty, strength and intelligence - we challenge each other, and both are far from perfect; but I still smile when I think of her at random moments and am amazed she still puts up with my own crap. I have two children that have every indication of being all I could have hoped for - intelligent, curious, happy and healthy. The fact that both of them think the greatest thing in the world is when I walk through the door; and that they have incredible smiles they share as they look in my eyes, makes any sacrifice worth it.

As for the blog - I have enjoyed being able to write and share my thoughts, and hopefully somehow grow from it. While I am nowhere near the caliber of many I admire, and will never have all their readers, I have been stunned at the ones who have wandered by and read my words and shared their own comments. So, I hope I can continue the same in the future.

In regards to the changing of the year (at least for those following the Gregorian model) -

I wish you all a happy, safe, and wonderful New Year.

For any I may have harmed, I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me - as I am seeking to forgive others.

Enjoy your day.

1 comment:

Mrs. "Smith" said...

Happy New Year! I wish you personal peace and professional safety. Best wishes to your family.

Mrs. S.