“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

One tired puppy...

No, not the dog - me!

Yep, started working with my new partner this week.

First off, we are taking what is normally a 12-week school, and compressing it into six. So Sean has to be somewhat on the ball & play catch-up.

Second, I have a great, intelligent, enthusiastic & energetic two-year old Labrador retriever who loves his job (going out and finding explosives), and can't wait to do it every time as fast as daddy will let him.

And third, I am pushing 40, a few health issues recently that have slowed me down some, and coming off of six years of working midnights trying to adjust to a daytime schedule.

So yes, this all combines to have me a bit worn out! Between mentally trying to learn what I'm doing (I'm fortunate - this dog is already trained - HE knows what to do, I just have to figure out how to do my part correctly), and keeping up with him running everywhere he goes plus working the practice scenes, it's adding up. Not in a bad way - I'm certainly not complaining. And I can definitely say that I found a challenge of something new that I know pretty much nothing about (the dog side of things). But it's definitely a change from the life I was living this time last month, and yep it will take me a little bit to adjust.

Other than that, the new job definitely looks good. Much more personal freedom than I had even on midnights, and once I get done with school a bit more flexibility in my schedule as I need it. About the best comparison I have is when I moved over from the regular Navy to the special side of things - a corresponding increase in training and self-responsibility, but more trust to go with it.

So, sorry it's a light post tonight, but my brain is done & I also have a wife and children who don't feel well & need me well rested to assist.

I'll see if I can come up with more to share tomorrow.

1 comment:

Berserk said...

I'm hoping to join up with the dogs at my agency in a few years.