“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Typing one-handed and not why you think...

As mentioned previously, I had hand surgery the other day, so am a bit more off than normal right now...

I had a tendon in my little finger that decided it no longer wished to do the whole "hold things together & help them work" thing, which has progressively been getting worse. Pretty much to the point that the last several months the finger has been hyperextended & out of socket even at rest, and takes me actually pulling it into place to sit normally. Not horrible amounts of pain, but definitely uncomfortable.

So, after talking it over with the doctor & scheduling one appointment that fell through, things finally got fixed Thursday. Showed up nice & early at the VA Hospital, another round of anesthesia etc. Got one good laugh when I found out my case is apparently famous there - several nurses and such saying "Oh, that was YOU..." in reference to my last appointment - and letting me know that the hospital has some new procedures in place to hopefully keep the same from happening in the future. Refreshing and funny at the same time. Anyway, got rolled into the ER and drifted off under the nice medications, woke up a bit later as they finished everything & then off to post-op and release.

Short version is, they ended up cutting the tendon into two pieces & re-anchoring it in new spots, which will keep the finger slightly flexed & hopefully solve the issue. Oh, that and leaving a nice, long pin sticking out of my finger for the next week while stuff starts to heal - which they will pretty much just yank out during the follow-up, good times all around... Anyway, that hand is now all bandaged up, stitches in a few places, and I get to take it easy and enjoy nice, narcotic painkillers for the next week as needed... Just looking forward to this part being done & being able to start the arthritis meds again - unfortunately, they had me stop all of those while this is going on, to not affect the healing and recovery.

Obviously, due to the recovery issues, this means I'm taking a short vacation from being a road cop. As opposed to using up all my vacation time, and driving my wife nuts with 8 weeks of me being at home, bored and looking for stuff to do, I'm going to be helping out in our training department for a little bit. Right now the plan is for me to fix some of the things in our field training program which have been neglected in the past few updates, and try to improve the overall system. The good part is that the supervisor I'll be working with has a similar mindset to mine, so we will balance out well in approaching this. The bad part is that it will be Monday-Friday daytime stuff - we all know what a fan I am of that...

Anyway, just wanted to share the update on all that. In other news, just getting ready for the holidays, finishing up the school term, and exploring the depths of insanity... Once the next few days are done my mind should be lucid enough to write in English again - though I think I was channeling Uncle Duke for a bit last night...

1 comment:

Jon said...

Good to hear you're on the mend. I once hand my heel cord (achilles tendon) Lengthened because I couldn't walk right.

I've been bounding along ever since, so hopefully this sets your finger to rights again :)

As it happens I have a little something to say on training over at my blog. Post should be up sometime tonight - I'd appreciate a looksee and an opinion.

Hopefully the rest of your recovery is as painless as possible.