“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Links & commentary instead of my own work

Following up on my commentary yesterday on the end of NASA's manned spaceflight - I fully agree on the potential and work going on in the private sector (for which Roberta has an excellent post here) - I am lamenting the fact that as a nation we no longer see this as a priority worthy of our collective effort. I just hope that those with the drive and finances to push forward don't get hampered too much by Fed interference.

Meanwhile, Tam has a good discussion re: the Anthony trial and the judicial system in general. One of the hardest things to teach new cops, and one of the traps too many old ones fall into, is that one arrest isn't worth violating our basic principals, no matter how "dirty" the bad guy is. I was fortunate in my early years to have good training and examples of this, and have always attempted to follow such - even when I knew the car had dope, the guy was dirty or whatever, it wasn't worth my integrity and our rights to cross the line for one bad guy. Just wish the big system as a whole would remember this more.

4 comments:

Tam said...

God bless you. We need a hundred thousand more just like you. :)

Jon said...

I'm with Tam on this one.

(I've already read the linked Articles. Also, a hello from the land of tiny cars, too much rain and Guiness. The last being the most important, obviously.)

Roberta X said...

Amen to you and Jon, though I shall have to stop at the tiny cars as I have scant aptitude for drink.

Wandering Soul said...

We Floridians are not thrilled with the outcome of the Casey Anthony trial. She is guilty as sin. We all know it. She knows it. And yet she is getting away with it.
Someday she will meet her Maker. And ultimate justice will be served.