“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Un-fun calls

Worked another late shift last night - part extra patrol to help with the holiday crowds, part DUI hunt. In my typical fashion I waited til close to the end of the shift to find my drunk driver - some sort of curse I have apparently.

Fortunately I found him before he got in an accident and hurt anyone or himself; he was well over the limit and definitely in no condition to drive. The passengers weren't in any better state either.

The unfortunate part is that I know his father, who happens to have retired just a few years ago. Trust me, it's not a fun task to call up a friend at 1am to tell them that their son is in jail, the situation at hand and listen to that sigh of regret and frustration. He took it as well as can be expected, and without getting angry with his son or us for a bad situation overall.

Still wasn't a call I enjoyed making.

1 comment:

Front Porch Society said...

Those are tough calls to make. Glad to hear the father took it well and did not become upset over you doing your job.