“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Friday, November 13, 2009

Random

Long day here, so keeping this short.

Started out by getting a call on my way to teach at in-service. A potentially no-good, very-bad situation afoot, which fortunately turned out to be nothing more than a threat to do so, rather than the actual event. Sorry I can't write more about it than that.

Spent my afternoon and evening working a semi-off-duty assignment at one of the local university basketball games (both women's and men's teams). Not much of a sports fan here (meaning not really at all), but from what I observed both teams actually were playing with a great deal of sportsmanship and drive, as opposed to being a free-for-all like so many professional events you seem to read about. However, I made two more interesting (to me at least) observations during the events:

- What happened to people learning proper behavior during the National Anthem? While it was nice to see the crowd standing, and hats removed, I would say less than 10% of the people held their hands over their hearts (and probably only about 5% of the athletes themselves). Just found it curious.

- I'm not saying cheerleading has changed in the 20+ years since I was last in school, but the last time I saw dancing like that brass poles and dollar bills were involved. Plus, I'm really not sure at the point of cheerleading anymore - it certainly didn't seem like the crowd or the team paid them much more notice than any of the other folks on the sidelines throughout the games.

No comments: