“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Range time

Finally had the chance to go shooting on Friday, after a three-month break due to the surgery & work timing of everything... Just a few magazines through each of the work guns, all I was working on was the fundamentals - no moving, malfunction drills or any of that. Taking the time to reinforce the basics after the break, since dry-firing only does so much.

Actually didn't do that bad either. Rifle was dead on where I wanted, which wasn't too shocking - I was working at 50 yards and in, and the hand surgery really doesn't affect what I do with a long gun. Still a nice feeling.

Pistol up close was good - nice tight groups. My grip is a bit different than it used to be, since my little finger doesn't have quite the strength it used to & I need to work on that, particularly with the larger calibers. Out at the 25 things opened up a bit more than I wanted - about 12-16" groups standing & kneeling. Still shooting "minute of bad guy" but I know I can do better.

So, still feel comfortable enough to do the job if I have to, but I know what to concentrate on the next few go arounds. I have an academy class coming up to teach the week after next so I should get some practice time in then & will see if things improve.

2 comments:

Front Porch Society said...

I completely understand. I underwent several surgeries to my right hand, wrist, and arm after being hit head-on by a drunk driver. Still working to rehabilitate my shooting grip back to where it used to be. Tough to do but I keep working hard at it.
So hang in there!!! I know what you are going thru!! :)

Charissa said...

I don't do any shooting, but it's on my to do list to learn eventually.

I read your valentine's day post, and we don't do big holidays here either. My husband got me flowers for the first time in 6 years, and I was floored. He went to a special effort to make sure they were yellow because they're my favorite. Also, he took me to a yarn shop without complaining and helped me clean the apartment. So we were pretty low key. :)

Don't get me wrong, romance is great, but one thing I've learned over the years is to treasure the every day things he does for me to show his love, like the time he bought 5 fifty pound bags of dog food so I wouldn't have to lug them up to the 4th floor while he was on deployment, or giving the kids cereal in the morning before he goes to work so I can sleep an extra 20 minutes. I'd take those kindnesses over platitudes any day.