“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fuzzy day

Ended up being awake about 24 hours straight yesterday, between family stuff, work & a DUI special which ran late - and, not being a youngster anymore, I don't recover quite like I did in my stupider days. So, a bit fuzzy in my world today, but fortunately I get to be home and enjoy the family, which is a good way to recover.

- I really get annoyed with officers who are so stuck on not working late that they're going to let an underage DUI go home with a "minor in possession" charge as opposed to doing their job... Fortunately it was a situation I was able to step in and take the arrest, so junior who was twice the adult limit got to wear the handcuffs. I'll deal with late & tired any day I need in order to do the right thing.

- It always makes me happy on the other hand the number of people who are grateful and polite for what we do, even if it results in a bit of a delay to their night, as we try and get the drunks off the streets.

- The lies people come up with in vain attempts to avoid the consequences of their own actions are always worth a laugh. Last night was the traditional "those aren't my pants," "I don't know how that got there," "I paid those tickets/got my license back/just got insurance," and "But I swear I only had one beer." My favorite though was the young guy we caught with some drugs who made Bill Clinton look like an amateur in trying to dodge questions... up to and including the (revelation to me and others) attempt to claim that his custom-printed "Virginia 420 Club" collection of stickers with prominently displayed leaves etc. was REALLY the symbol of a religious group & that it was the Jewish tree of life...

Oy vey.

6 comments:

Dori said...

that actually explains a lot about the "Coffee Talk" lady...

Anonymous said...

Y'know...if I were going to do illegal drugs, I wouldn't advertise that fact to everyone around me.

Home on the Range said...

"Jewish tree of life".

hahahaha. I once bought a used Toyota off a fellow. Since the ad was in the paper and I didn't want to go alone, I took my work partner. We show up in blue suits, white ties, sunglasses. This guy is a Deadhead,the truck is COVERED with Grateful Dead stickers.

He was asking $3500 for it. It was immaculate though I had the feeling I'd need to replace the carpet to get rid of the seeds. I asked if he would come down on the price. "He said, no, I had a drug deal go bad and I need the bread man".

Long pause. My partner pulls down his sunglasses and gives him his best "you are so in trouble" stare.

The guy stutters and says "you aren't cops are you??"

I said "Nope, just a young lady who wants a cheap truck".

I got it for $3000.

Captain Tightpants said...

Nice one Brigid! Had a few similar things - my favorite being a haircut once where the lady asked where I lived, I told her the town & she started griping about the cops and all the tickets she'd gotten... then the utter silence that followed after she asked what I did... Her manager just about collapsed laughing though.

Anonymous said...

Oy vey indeed! LMBO:)

randompawses said...

Sean you said, "I'll deal with late & tired any day I need in order to do the right thing."

On behalf of the less ignorant members of the general population, thank you.