“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Monday, July 19, 2010

Suggestions sought

So - I'm in the mood for some spooky movies. Not "horror" as currently defined by "how much blood & guts can we fit on the screen per second," something more along the lines of classic X-Files, Fallen, or maybe even a hint of The Sixth Sense. Cthulhu type influences would be nice too... Just that suspenseful, skin-crawling, spooky kind of movie.

Any thoughts from the blogosphere?

18 comments:

Groundhog said...

Shutter Island and The Book of Eli are kind of in that vein. Both well worth a buck at the local Red Box.

Anonymous said...

An old cheesey but creepy Cthulu inspired movie called "The Unnamable" was pretty good.

Angela said...

Have you seen "I Am Legend" with Will Smith, it's not overly violent and very "What if".

xx
Jaxs

Dori said...

Bela Lugosi. Yes, I know he's dead...but his memory and talent are alive and well in our DVD cabinet...

Joi said...

If you can find it, check out Let the Right One In, a Norwegian vampire flick that came out about two years ago. Here's the imdb page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/ Gave me the creeps for days!

There's some Cthulhu-ish stuff in the first Hellboy movie, but that's more action than creepy.

Christina RN LMT said...

What about "Signs"?

Christina RN LMT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daddy Hawk said...

If you can find it, "Jacob's Ladder" is right up that alley. It's from the early 90s if I recall correctly. "Book of Eli" was a great movie, but I didn't think it fit the spooky movie category. Ditto with "I am Legend." "Butterfly Effect" is way big on the what if factor, but you have to put up with Ashton Kutcher. "Deja Vu" has a major what if twist, but then I am a big Denzel fan. There's others that aren't coming to mind right now I'm sure.

Pops said...

I think it's called "The Devils Advocate" and it has Keanu Reeves and Charliese Theron. Then there is "Primal Fear" Edward Norton is awesome in this one. Both suspenseful but not gross

Gothelittle Rose said...

My favorite creepy movie of all time is a version of The Picture of Dorian Gray that was done way back in the '30's.

Jon said...

Not particularly new....

But the Omen - particularly the first one was always good for Creepy.

Captain Tightpants said...

Some good suggestions all - a few comments:

I am Legend & Book of Eli are both on my list that I do want to see.

I've seen most of Signs - just didn't do anything for me.

Hadn't seen The Omen in years but that would be a good refresher...

Seen Devil's Advocate, thought it was ok but probably won't rush for a rerun.

Some good ideas on the others & thanks for the suggestions!

CalvinsMom said...

"Session 9." Very little gore, a lot of psychological tension, and a twist at the end.

CalvinsMom said...

Or "The Serpent and the Rainbow."

Easily Lost said...

My all time favorite scary/ not quite horror movie is still "Fall of the House of Usher"

*Goddess* said...

Hope you have better luck with I Am Legend than I did. Gawd, I HATED that movie. I won't ruin it aside from saying, "It wasn't like the book!" Then again, what movie is?

What about TaeBo II starring Billy Blanks? When he makes you do 42 squat/kicks it's the most horrifying thing you'll ever see!

Anonymous said...

Not really horror, but funny and suspenseful-- "Keeping Mum". Seen it? I love it. Great balance of funny and thriller:) And of course, Maggie Smith is awesome.

Dixie said...

"Below"-- not only is it a psychological horror movie, it's a *submarine* horror movie.