“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Monday, August 10, 2009

I have been challenged...

So tonight a coworker and I went to a local place for some bar-b-que for dinner; apparently it has quite the reputation and has one a number of awards for the cooking. Now, it wasn't bad by any stretch (and yes, the ribs were some of the best I've had), but when I looked very matter-of-factly at my partner and told him that my brisket was much better he looked shocked.

I then explained to him (I kept it brief, honest) about brining, smoke rings, crust, the difference between smoking over indirect heat with actual wood and charcoal vs. just an oven, etc. By the end of all that he seemed a bit more aware, but still questioned if mine was really that good.

So apparently when I get home I have to do an end-of-season brisket for purely educational purposes. I'm sure my wife will feel most put out.

1 comment:

Dori said...

Oh no! Not another brisket! However shall I cope?! Wait...we have to share?