“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Book plug

I'm not usually one to plug recipe books, particularly since I don't use them much myself... tending to kind of just get basic ideas from the collection & then make things up as I go. This tends to frustrate my wife to no end as well, since she will ask how I did something for a meal and I really don't have an answer...

Be that as it may, I did get a hold of one recently which I have found to be a nice addition to the collection; useful for grilling, roasting or just seasoning in general. Soaked, Slathered and Seasoned: A Complete Guide to Flavoring Food for the Grill covers rubs, brines and marinades very well - explaining the difference between each, giving suggestions and working for both the neophyte and experienced cooks.

The meal this week which brought the post to mind was a rack of lamb I picked up, brined for a few hours and then put on a chili based rub before about three minutes a side on the stovetop grilling pan, and then finishing up in the oven. We accompanied it with couscous, some fresh bread and vegetables on the side. The meat came out wonderfuly tender and moist, with a nice browned crust on the outside but still so soft you could cut it with a fork. The seasoning worked well to complement the flavors rather than overwhelming them, and everything in the meal balanced out well. It was a very rare occasion for one of my meals, in that I didn't have any self-criticism in how things could have been better!

So, if you're looking for a good book for yourself or another who cooks, I can certainly recommend this one. Give it a try.

No comments: