“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Sunday, January 13, 2008

A bit of mulligan stew

Just some mixed random junk from how the day went, nothing particularly amazing in any of it...

The Veggie Tales "Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" movie was cute today, and a nice simple break. The kids all liked it - Jacob even did pretty good at sitting still through the whole thing, and he didn't raise any sort of fuss, which was great. Interestingly IMHO they kept all the church stuff out of this one - still good moral lessons, but no Bible verses etc... wonder if it's a reflection of the Saturday morning cartoon demographic these days?

Afterwards when the others were all on nap time I took Kyleigh and went to the gun show in a slight change of plans. Mostly I just picked up some more of the Magpul PMAGS - my plan is to score as many as I can as an investment, given the current political winds. Besides, you can never have too many magazines. Otherwise I pretty much observed a bunch of people asking way more than what they should be for the simplest of things - AK mags going for twice the price from the online dealers, and most of the guns were at least 15% above the store prices I've seen around here. I'm not sure if this is a case of the show being disconnected from the regular purchaser these days, who has researched things; or if the dealers are simply playing the market again given the current outlook of things.

Picked up one of the SAW-style grips for my AK & installed it... this following the debacle of the Ergo grip I got last week. Note to a manufacturer - "Made for XX item" means that it should install with minimum effort, not require EXTENSIVE use of a Dremel tool to even get close to fitting things, plus bolts other than supplied etc. I still may try to get the Ergo on at some point, but for now I'm happy with this as an improvement over the tiny stock grip. Now if KVAR will ever update their website or answer their phone I can order the shorter stock & be mostly happy with this one. This rifle I still need to score some magazines for to catch up to my AR ones, since it may be my SHTF/Truck gun for a while.

Speaking of my AR/M4gery build... had a oh shit today when I went to replace the rear sling mount on it. Found out I used loctite on a spot I should have used grease on when I did the lower assembly - my fault, I didn't RTFM on that one. But, now I need to order a new buffer tube and safety spring and install them, and chalk it up to a BIG lesson learned. Fortunately nothing damaged more than that, and I can easily fix it. Now I'm just waiting for taxes to come in so I can finally order the upper receiver and have that project done...

Continuing on the shooting side of things, I had picked up a pair of the Surefire Sonic Defenders earplugs this week, and will give them a two thumbs up. VERY comfortable, they actually stay in, and perform as advertised - cut the sharp noises but you can still hear conversation if you need. I'll be ordering several more pairs to throw in various places now.

No new beer reviews yet this week - it's been the old standards, given my schedule. However I do hope to run out tomorrow and grab a thing or two, so we'll see what I can come up with tomorrow night.

I've been following the news with regards to the Iranian speedboat provocation last week, and all the spin and bullshit surrounding it. Anyone who thinks that this whole thing hasn't been carefully orchestrated and played is either stunningly naive or just stupid - even if you didn't know anything about the current Iranian regime, their activities and goals throughout the Gulf, and the fact our media is easier to play than a Fisher Price piano simply needs to look at the history of the past thirty years to see the same trends there. But, I'll stop before I rant.

Tomorrow's post will probably be rather domestic - planning some housework I need to contribute to, and I picked up a number of organizing drawer sets that I can use to tame a few things while I have the day to do so. I know, not at all interesting, but that's part of my grown-up life now... I'm back to being a regular cop next week, so I hope to have a story or two then.

No comments: