“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Saturday, January 19, 2008

another curry of thoughts

Watched the second episode of Terminator - Sarah Connor Chronicles tonight, and if anything it's grown on me even more. The plot seems to be developing even more, and it looks like they'll be avoiding the "cyborg of the week" trap. I'm intrigued by the development of the resistance teams sent back and working in sleeper cells - hope they do more with this topic. The fight scenes seem really well choreographed so far, particularly when considering the whole lack of vulnerabilities thing - I was reminded of Dark Angel (in a good way), but much better in my book so far. A few other bloggers have posted comments I agree with, such as that diamonds aren't my thought of the best way to store funds for quick dispersal, but at least the concept is being explored. All in all, three thumbs up and I'll be watching more.

On the beer review side of things. Tonight I picked up a few new bottles to enjoy over the weekend, and the first sample was Arcadia Ales "Big Dick's Olde Ale". Wasn't sure what it was going to be like, since the bottle doesn't give many hints, but it was an enjoyable first drink. A malty/chocolaty ale - not my normal IPA style but nice for a winter's night. This is the first thing I recall trying from this brewery, but I'll look for more - good potential. Of course, I have a few others for the next two nights, but we'll save those for then...

Oh, before I forget - got my first linky-love from Pagan Blacksmith :D thank you sir! Hope my disjointed ramblings live up to your kind words...

On other blog notes Marko has posted an excellent essay about the militarization of our police forces which should be required reading and discussion for all cops. I don't agree 100% with him, but damn I wish I could write 1/10th as well... on a side note for it, I would invite any of my few readers with gang investigation experience to comment - for all that cops are mimicking the military, let's consider the whole gangbanger culture of calling themselves "soldiers" as well - I'm curious as to the parallels...

That's the bits for tonight, talk with you all tomorrow.

No comments: