“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Thursday, February 13, 2020

I have issues

Coworker last night asks if I can sharpen a knife for him.

"Sure."

Then, he hands it to me.

"Nope. I refuse." While he was trying to figure out where I was coming from, I was examining the "knife" in the loosest sense of the word, which wouldn't even pass muster as truck stop store quality.

"I can't do anything with this but throw it away. I'll bring you in a decent knife tomorrow."

Because it's not like I don't have any spares.

3 comments:

Captain Tightpants said...

As Tam (https://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2020/02/i-just-dont-get-it.html) understandably has comments blocked, two things to say:

#1 - Yes, it actually was a CRKT I passed on to a new home. Given I have a handful I was issued, and don't generally use except when traveling and I don't want to lose an Emerson.

#2 - There might have been a manly squeal when I got a link from a famous blogger. Judge all you want.

knuckledraggertech said...

I'm one of Tam's patreon supporters with a knife story for you. I worked in a hardware/sporting goods store years ago. We sold Case and Buck knives, and I sharpened any that customers bought in (also ice skates, axes, scythes and block plane knives). During hunting season we sold guns, ammo, out-of-state hunting licenses, and we also tagged deer and bear. During tagging time I carried a Camp King pocket knife, the one that came ten to a cardboard pegboard display sheet. They were probably made out of recycled vegetable cans, but in 30 seconds with a gunsmith file, belgian clay wetstone, and a piece of soft pine for stropping the wire off, I could make an edge that would dry-shave. And if I lost it I was out $1.55. One time my co-worker could not find his knife and borrowed mine to tag a deer, slitting the hide and flesh between the hind leg bone and tendon to set the steel tag; he wiped the blade on his brown corduroy pants on the way back into the store. When he handed that Camp King to me I noticed a one-inch cut on his pants-leg with blood stains on the lower edge. He had cut his pants and his leg, and never knew it until I showed him. I have good knives, arkansas and clay stones, and diamond hones to sharpen them, but that Camp King served the purpose...

Pigpen51 said...

I gave a CRKT Drifter to a coworker, when I was doing maintenance in a trailer park. He didn't have a knife, never carried one. Me, I have carried a pocket knife of some type or another since age 9 or so.
This was a 19 year old kid, a really nice guy, who was just starting out, and had already refurbished a trailer of his own and sold it for a profit. So he was not a slacker, just never had anyone show him that he needed to carry a knife with him all the time. Me, I usually have somewhere between 2 and 5 knives in and on my person. I just like knives, and they are for different tasks.

pigpen51