- Took most of last week off for some time with the family before school starts again... ended up being "most" instead of "all" due to a campaign stop by a politician for which we had to do our normal pre-event screenings & standby. On the one hand, these visits are good for a chunk of overtime money every four years - on the other, I'm glad it's only every four years.
- One interesting thing has been the new County policy to bill the respective campaigns for the overtime costs etc. associated with these visits. It used to be something they just dealt with, but now both sides are getting sent the itemized "pay on receipt" letters. I agree with this, particularly given the level of things which get involved & how it impacts our other services.
- The wife & I took the kiddos camping to close out the week - not any kind of a backpacking trip, but still some time in the woods & having fun for them. Good time all around & glad the weather cooperated. I look forward to the day when they can help more though!
- Got a call from my boss's boss last night on a "mandatory social function" Monday night - it's one I don't mind actually, as a gentleman he knows who is very high up in some circles connected to my bomb work is coming to town for the day & wants to meet over beverages and chat about some opportunities. Helps him out, makes the department look good & helps me out down the road, so it should be a few hours well-spent.
- Another side project coming around involves some unpaid consultations I've been doing with a gear manufacturer and distributor who's based locally. So far I've been asked to give input on three projects they're developing or refining for certain specialized jobs, and then was able to submit two project ideas of my own that they're developing prototypes for. On the one hand, yes it would be great to get money & recognition for some of this stuff - BUT - on the more important hand, it's really a huge compliment to be asked for my opinions and ideas on stuff that is being used in real-world applications. Not that by any stretch I'm the world's expert or have all the ideas, but I've already had a few of those "Dang, why didn't we think of that?" moments in the discussions - and the word from the end users has been positive so far as well. Whether or not this leads to something more later, we will see.
That's it for now. My arthritis is acting up, so it's medication and schoolwork time...
Just a few ramblings from a confused guy. Former military, former cop. Husband. Father. Student. Role playing gamer, on intermittent weeks. Avid reader. Internet addict. Small "l" libertarian. Too many others to mention. The views and opinions expressed herein are my own, and do not reflect those of any official agency or government or species. Names have been changed to protect the guilty; God protects the innocent as a matter of course.
“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”
"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds
Sunday, August 19, 2012
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Glad to hear the OT is coming, and congrats on the consulting!!!
Our local jurisdictions have been billing campaigns for years. None have ever paid.
Post a Comment