“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Some things never change

Had part of my week occupied with a VIP visit to town, and our bits of support to that. As is often the case with such things we were working with Federal and military agencies during this as well.

So, a couple of us on the civilian bomb side are standing around talking with the lead Special Agent while waiting on things. We see a car pull up and two young men get out - both of whom display a certain lack of "fashion sense" shall we say. One of them has on a powder-blue shirt which not even a grandmother would give as a gift; the other apparently interpreted "business casual" as "stuff I might wear to a club with bad lighting in Tijuana." He quickly makes a comment of "Gee, I hope that's not my military EOD guys."

To which I reply "They're probably Air Force." I can't help it - there's still a bit of inter-service rivalry in me, even after all this time.

He laughs back and says "Hey, not cool - I was Air Force EOD." Which leads to a nice conversation about our backgrounds, duty stations and all the other stuff. Of course, on finding out my prior he has to retort with "Well, I knew they weren't Navy guys since their hair wasn't spiked up and they weren't wearing Oakleys in the rain."

I acknowledged his point as I looked at my own sunglasses in the mirror, and we enjoyed several moments throughout the day in similar nature... My coworkers also enjoyed it having seen a few pictures of me in the past days of such fun.

Nice to see my service still represents style and talent in the community.

No comments: