“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ick or something

Got a call today from my attorney with a question - she had a case with another officer going on (she does work as a defense attorney as well,) and had a bit of a procedural question regarding how we teach to do things & what might a "reasonable" officer do and consider in a certain situation. After spending a minute getting the details I let her know the areas that yes, I would have done differently, and that I consider while not "wrong" at least not in the best judgment. She thanked me and sent word a short time later that she had won her case.

I had to laugh some - on the one hand I told her I felt "dirty" for helping the other side (just kidding folks!) - on the other, one of my pet peeves is incompetent officers who make the job harder on the rest of us. Particularly when their actions border on questionable stops, searches or arrests.

Besides, around here at least we do generally have a professional relationship with most defense attorneys, which is something I like. Both sides are important in our system, and I have never begrudged the ones who put their effort into doing a good job.

No comments: