“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Recap

This was apparently our week for callouts - these things go in cycles, like everything else.

It started out with an early Saturday morning phone call to go help out at a shooting in a neighboring jurisdiction, there was some thoughts the weapon involved might still be on the scene so they wanted Helix and I to give a go at finding things. After a period of time in which we were both getting more tired and hot due to the weather and running around, my partner pointed out some interest in a car.... which, none consent search later turned up a loaded gun in the trunk. So that did manage to start our week on a nice, if somewhat tired note!

The rest of the weekend was a pleasant blur of taking care of the kids, doing yard work and even getting some time with my wife.

Started out the week then with our regular monthly refresher training with the dogs. In the middle of which one of my coworkers and I are called to go do a check of one of our local churches for any bombs following some suspicious activity there... Nothing found, which in this case was a good thing.

Then as I'm just getting to some good sleep the next night I get another call - out to the airport we go to check some packages and a plane after someone left some homemade electronics on board... three more hours in the middle of the night, this one a switch to cold and rainy as opposed to hot. Again, nothing found, but we got the fun of destroying a little homemade music system since our genius didn't want to come claim it & we had to make sure it was nothing dangerous.

Following that gig I got home and got a brief nap; I'd just gotten up & taken a shower when the phone rings again - "They need you to come out on another gun search." Sigh. Three more hours of overtime at least, then I rolled into my regular work day.

Nothing more exciting to the work week than that - wish we'd had more finds but the nature of the job is about 90% false calls anyway. The other fun is that it is Federal grant time at work, so we have a bunch of money to spend upgrading equipment for the team and trying to line up things like that. Which takes up a lot of time in hunting down items, getting quotes, prioritizing and all that - fortunately I'm decent at administrative stuff, so it helps.

Ah, to just take someone to jail for something simple again - I love the change in jobs but I do miss the simple arrests at times! I am working a road check this week, so maybe I'll get lucky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you, saw you hadn't posted anything this week. Take care, sir. The work you do is important, even if tiring and frustrating most of the time.