“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Alternatives...

Well, my wife and I are pretty much fully into alternative lifestyles now...

And not in the way you all thought - pervs!

I've always had my PC's. She got hooked on Macs years ago. So for a long time the two machines have coexisted in the house, without TOO much fussing & with plenty of comments back & forth.

Well, last year we acquired a used laptop for the great bargain of *free*, which I figured could be a living room/coffee shop machine or for the all-too-infrequent travel. Unfortunately, it didn't come with a clean copy of an operating system & trying to cross-load any of my Windows disks got the "counterfeit software" warnings to explode and annoy. Plus, given that it was an older machine without all the current memory loads etc - I just really didn't feel like paying Gates & Co. another several hundred dollars for something not worth that much.

So, I've been debating, and last night was my first time...

I downloaded and installed a copy of Linux for the system (Ubuntu for anyone who knows more about it than I, which should be about everyone!) Having done a bit of the Google type research, as well as some of the bloggers I've read, it hit the key points of:

Free.

Used fewer system resources, perfect for the old machine.

Doesn't cost anything.

More stable of a platform.

and did I mention free?

So, in what is surely a violation to the computer purists everywhere - our small office now has not 1, not 2 but three different operating systems cohabitating harmoniously.

No comments: