“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Saturday, January 5, 2008

rambling

Still out of it a bit - between the sick kids, running errands, and my brain working too much I really haven't slept much in the past 36 hours... so trying to take it easy and just catch up on simple things.

Actually got a good amount of stuff done this morning. Went and paid tuition and picked up my textbooks for the semester - the computer class will have me poking my eyes out. They're making me take an "Intro to Computers" for some reason (what a waste) - the text has statements like "a mouse is an input device, a monitor is an output device." Can you tell how much effort this one will take?

Went on the spendmart run, a little more than I planned but some things that were at good prices and will be useful. Finally picked up a bed for the old dog, since he doesn't have one downstairs. Now I just have to teach him it's ok to use it, but I'm hoping it will ease some of his "old dog" aches and pains.

Took Jacob and we both got haircuts, which was more of a struggle than I hoped. Poor guy isn't feeling good, so it carried over into his whole day. But we got it all done and he looks less like a mop-head now. I don't mind if he wants to grow it out when he gets older, but until he can take care of it himself it needs some control!

On the political snark side of things, everyone in the media is worrying the Iowa caucuses to death... while I'm of the opinion it's too early to tell, I am thrilled at anything that makes Satan's daughter upset and causes her worry... Would have liked to have seen Fred do better, but a 3rd is still higher than most expected. Maybe now some of his support there will get off their asses and step it up - we need a viable candidate to pull this one off. No matter who wins though, I'll have to echo the statements of countless others - if you don't already own a firearm, now is the time & if you do buy magazines, ammo, and more magazines - don't plan on things remaining the way they are for more than another couple of years at most. I have thoughts percolating on a few areas from that topic but I'll save it.

Speaking of the world and politics... the whole Kenya situation, particularly when coupled with Sudan, has me considering a boil-over. I asked my wife (who grew up in Kenya, for those who don't know) what she thought & if it had been this ugly before & she said no... like most African conflicts it is split on tribal lines, but this one is getting big faster than I expected & I'm not sure I see a good resolution either way. Even if the immediate situation is resolved for a period, my gut is telling me too many people are looking at Rwanda, the Congo & other examples of the lack of western response, and sharpening the machetes...

The other one that was on my mind lately had to do with listening to a radio show over the past week which had callers discussing their predictions for the new year. I hate to say that my feeling is this will be the year we see a nuke in play somewhere - I don't think it's going to be the big one, but someone somewhere is going to decide it's time to prove a point and let that cat out of the bag. I'd love to say that's going to wake up all the sheeple to the risks of the world we're in, but I don't hold my breath on it.

Anyway, it's a rather introsspective night for me and I'm gazing into space, so I'll end this... more tomorrow.

No comments: