“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Changes

After thirty years otherwise, our new chief has now instituted a mandatory ballistic vest policy, and discontinued the need for wearing the dress hat for everything you do.

Been some interesting changes with more to come.

10 comments:

Meadowlark said...

I have to say, I find it frightening that ballistic vests were JUST made mandatory. What's been the prevailing pattern up until now? I thought that crazy stuff only happened in Spotsylvania County. YIKES!

Gladorn said...

At least Spotsy has a relaxed hat policy. I've had friends with Caroline receive write ups for loosing their hat during a foot pursuit.

Phelps said...

It's a good thing that the vest policy wasn't a self correcting problem.

Meadowlark said...

Actually, I think that any department that lets a civilian (an unarmed, untrained civvy) do ridealongs that involve servings warrants in the dark on a wanted felon, responding to an alarm in progress and (the funnest one of all!!!!) a high-speed pursuit and the subsequent perimeter for the rest of the night, has some issues. I may have had fun, but OY! the legal ramifications of it.

Seriously, I know I'm from the other side of the nation, but I know what does and does not happen in Husband's department. Hell, we can't even get out of the CAR on a call!!!!!

Let's say that my excited "guess what I got to do" call was NOT met with excitement but rather "what the hell do you think you're doing? No vest, no outta-the-car, baby". Sigh... he's no fun at all. :(

Phelps said...

We're citizens, not civilians. Unless you are an occupying force, that is.

Meadowlark said...

Lol Phelps... try as I might, I've never been able to bring along my "street cred" and turn it into "occupying force". Not that I haven't made a valiant effort.

I thought "civilians" sounded nicer than "untrained, unwashed masses" though. Sigh... next time I'll def say "citizens".

:)

Phelps said...

It's a peeve. I'm a little uneasy about the increasing militarization of our peace keepers. The way we speak is the way we end up thinking.

Jeff said...

Sounds like the new chief has his head screwed on the right way. I wonder what else is to come?

Dori said...

Meadowlark, ride alongs are fun around here! I was allowed out of the car...but I did stand back out of the way.

And Cap't Tightpants is legendary in the department for keeping his hat on during a foot pursuit and a tackle!

Captain Tightpants said...

I will also add that she wasn't allowed on a ride-along with me - but went with a good friend of mine :D Only due to my stubbornness.

And yes, there have been groups of us saying for years that the priorities were backwards - just one of many good changes we are seeing.