“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Thursday, August 24, 2017

*Knocks the dust off*

I want to try to get back to writing and posting again, really... going to make an effort, even if short stuff.

So - as much of my life these days involves the daily commute to & from things, and with me no longer being in "cop mode" during such drives, I have a growing list of observations regarding drivers.

I think I'm going to start an online university. My first two courses are going to be:

"Turn signals. Decorative accessory, or useful item?"

and

"Why is everyone passing me on the right, and what it should mean for my life?"

6 comments:

Daddy Hawk said...

Welcome back captain. Can I be an adjunct professor for your online university?

Captain Tightpants said...

Absolutely! I'm open to more course suggestions as well - even debating a whole commentary on the state of driving in the state...

Daddy Hawk said...

How about:

"Distracted Driving - Thinning The Herd One Idiot at a Time"

Anonymous said...

Having just returned from a two week vacay in the UK, it is obvious that it is the selfish driving attitudes of North Americans that is the main contributor to our ridiculous road stress, injuries and death.
Take the 'ME' attitude out of it and go with the 'pack' mentality and things just start to flow better. The zipper method of lane merging starts to zip smoothly, the traffic circle yield and branch off allows for little stopping and more movement.
The prevalence of standard transmissions and narrow roadways means little texting and driving as a purely self-preservation method.
If we all drove with the thought process that the goal is to get everyone around us to their destination, then we would be so much better off.
How to implement this is a much bigger question.

Old NFO said...

Welcome back, sir! And there are LOT of idjits out there that need remedial training!

Glenn B said...

Welcome back.

I doubt that most drivers under about 40 even know what is a directional signal or that they are required y law to signal turns and lane changes.

As for everyone passing you on the right, move over you slow poke! Anyway, that is what I tell myself when more than two or three cars in rapid succession have passed me on the right. I appreciate it when folks drive to the right except to pass, so I usually do it too but sometimes, like anyone else can wind up driving in auto mode and not be paying all the attention I should be paying. When they wake me up passing me on the right, I move over. Of course, then there are the assholes who pass on the right when you are in the middle lane and the left lane was wide open. And, in NY, there are the jerkoffs who pass you by driving on the right shoulder of the road to get off the next exit instead of waiting for the actual exit lane to open; I think they should be hung by there toes and whipped.