“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day

Today there are hundreds of thousands of men and women away from their homes, serving our nation and people. Millions more are still alive who have done so in the past.

They live without many of the conveniences, privileges and even freedoms that most of our society takes for granted. They are subject to being called up at a moment's notice to pack their bags, travel far away and be gone for however long when needed.

These men and women are currently fighting and dying overseas, and even in our own nation against those who would do us harm. More die each year in training accidents - because doing certain jobs is hazardous in an of itself, much less when under fire. Others have suffered injuries and wounds in both combat and peacetime which will burden them for the rest of their lives.

And, for almost the past four decades, every single one of these military members has done so willingly - has chosen to enlist and serve, be it for a short term or an entire career. They weren't drafted, they weren't forced - in fact they are given multiple opportunities to make sure that the decision is done willingly before they ever commit.

From the lowest ranked person stuck doing what some would see as a thankless, menial job to the highest ranked officers rubbing shoulders in Washington, these people have placed the needs and good of others ahead of their own. Be it for patriotic reasons, a need to challenge themselves, or the chance for an education otherwise unobtainable, they swore an oath and followed through to protect and defend this nation (and often others), and to pay the sacrifices needed to do so, even with their own lives.

As I've said before, I am proud of my service. I was fortunate to have opportunities I would have never encountered otherwise, to go places and meet people literally around the world, and to learn about who I am and what I am capable of when need be. I've also had the privilege of meeting and learning from those servicemembers throughout my career. My fourteen years in the Navy helped make me who I am today in every way, to include introducing me to the woman who would become my wife and the mother of our children.

So - to every Sailor, Marine, Soldier and Airman out there - thank you. Whether you are serving now, or have moved on, I am grateful that you gave of yourselves. For my friends who have given the ultimate sacrifice throughout the years, I pray you are at peace and know that you will never be forgotten.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Thank you for your service, Sean.

And may you see a great many more Veteran's Days to come.