“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Friday, September 25, 2009

semi-Retro

One of the downsides of the digital age is that I have found myself doing the majority of my music listening the past couple of years to either the songs I have saved to the computer, or to those on the iPod in the car. This means I've lost a little touch with the CD collection as it still stands - a number of things that never got moved en masse to the computer, and some of my more esoteric bits of the collection.

So lately I've taken to pulling random disks off the shelf to listen to as I cook, do dishes or other bits of kitchen work, it's worked out very nicely to touch base with things I've missed. Lately I've had a chance to remember what good albums Under Wraps and Stormwatch were by Jethro Tull, reconnect with the haunting Iberian-Celtic melodies of Luar na Lubre, and even enjoy a few of my old comedy albums.

It's been a nice change of pace for things and reminds me why I still keep the disks around.

3 comments:

Jon said...

So rip em to MP3, AAC, or WMA - or whichever format you like using. And toss em on the Ipod, or in the itunes library or what have you. You own legit copys of them, as long as your not sharing over a torrent or the like, a digital rip of a hardcopy you own is completely legit.

And far, far more portable, generally.

Captain Tightpants said...

Jon, that's not the problem - my iPod is already full - the computer has 10500+ songs on it already - simply a matter of not wanting to take the time and space to get probably another 100 cd's worth of stuff on there...

Besides, it's a nice change of pace now and then.

Christina RN LMT said...

I got rid of all my cds before my move. I'm harsh that way...