“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Friday, April 4, 2008

Fallen

Last night I rolled up on a couple just before "the act" as it were...

The guy involved is one that the department knows, unfortunately...

He's a former cop here who picked up a drug habit... he's still got pending charges with us from that.

So of course, he knows the games we play to get at things and all that... what he can & can't do & say and still be safe...

Unfortunately his "girlfriend" of the night isn't as well versed, and her weed got us into the truck as a whole - which got me enough that he'll have another possession charge coming his way.

Nothing personal, part of the job - anyone who knows me knows how much leeway I give drugs (which is about the same as DUIs, meaning zero)... but a part of my mind still wondered what it was that let him turn out different than so many others. Particularly anytime you get into dealing with narcotics, cash and all that I know the temptation is there. What is it that keeps a majority of cops honest when faced with such things, and others fall to the dark side? And I'm under no illusions - there but for the grace... fortunately I think my life is strong enough to avoid that, but I'm sure he thought the same thing before he slipped... I just thank everything that I've never made the same mistakes and I'm able to remember what anchors me to this world.

On the other side of things, I felt that bit of pity for the young lady as well. Barely an adult, already hooked on drugs and turning tricks. She had a couple of those small photo albums with her - and it was a normal "all-American" girl, someone whose parents loved their little princess and who I know a succession of boys chased growing up. Now you look at her and see the lost potential, and I just hope she finds her way out before it's too late.

No comments: