“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Monday, September 30, 2024

Time (keeping) in Retrograde

I like tech. I like convenience. This isn't anything new - I still remember working on a TRS-80 and a Zenith microcomputer in the 80's learning this "personal computer" stuff. So, no surprise, I've had a smartwatch. Super convenient. Preview messages. Check the weather. See appointments. So on, and so on, and so on. Except. Well, it started bothering me. Sure, it's great on the commute to see a text from my wife and be able to respond. Or to preview an email and decide how important it is. But, it was also intrusive. Texts at dinner buzzing on my wrist, driving the dopamine hit to "Just see what it says." Random moments at night, some notification that I had to determine whether or not was worthy of my attention. Spam calls hitting another piece of tech as I navigated my day. Not to mention, the times at work I can't have it on, given the spaces I'm in - so, then, what's the point, if I don't even have the tool? All this to say, about three weeks ago I pulled out the analog option. Dive watch, rated deeper than I ever intentionally plan to go again. GMT hand so I can keep my family's time zone visible even when I'm a world away. No bells. No whistles. No messages, previews, or vibrations. So far? It's been positive. I like being able to just look and see the uncluttered "it's this time". I certainly don't miss the digital intrustions. There's been moments of "phantom pain," and some times I'm like "Ugh, it would be nice to just..." - but, so far, the good outweighs the bad. Not selling off the smart watch yet. But, six months from now? Time will tell.

No comments: