“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Monday, August 2, 2010

Priorities

The west end of our city has a reputation locally as being the "monied" side of things - not as true as it used to be, but that is definitely where some of the blue bloods, privileged types, and overly impressed with themselves live.

I was reminded of that fact working on a call today. Bit of juvenile vandalism, unfortunately involving explosives - just another in an exciting summer trend.

As we are talking with one area resident, asking if she heard or saw anything, and she's discussing all the reactions amongst the neighborhood her first comment is "Oh, I was just sick - I don't want the news media out here interviewing people on this, or folks talking about our street."

Not "I hope no one got hurt," or even "Gee, I hope there wasn't a lot of damage." No, her very first fear was that someone might associate her neighborhood with those "common people" whose children do such things.

Sometimes it's all I can do to keep my mouth shut...

1 comment:

Angela said...

Oh man I know people like that...

I grew up in a tiny "Safe" town "where nothing ever happens" and

Uh-huh nothing bad ever happens

Nothing that would ever "make the news" and "give the town a bad name"

*ROLLS EYES*

xx
Jaxs
ps. Was very good friends with one of the three who caused that...