“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Just a few...

Busy week, and behind on school, but things are going well. Definitely burning the candle at both ends and started a bonfire in the middle to make it better...

I did manage to get in a few stops this week & actually do some enforcement again. I'm starting to think that something about my marked vehicle now being a SUV makes it invisible - I've had people do some stunningly dumb stuff I don't think would have happened if I'd been in the old crown vic:

- We started out with the girl doing 95 right past me, and then keeping it up as I sat behind her on the interstate for a mile. With an infant in the car. Blowing past every other vehicle on the road, so not even a chance to pretend you didn't know what you were doing. Oh - and for some reason she was actually surprised that I stopped her & wrote her.

- Another guy doing almost three times the limit in a school zone, past the lights and all, again with me in plain view.

- Then sat behind one on the way home one day who was doing 65 in the 40 zone, whipping in and out of traffic, me sitting behind him the whole way in broad daylight. But I should have cut him a break, because apparently being late for work makes that ok... or so he told me.

But, my winner for the week has nothing to do with the car I drive, it's just stupidity in general:

I worked for a bit of overtime last night looking for drunks and such - no luck with a DUI, but I pulled over one truck that was a bit distinctive and that I thought might be impaired.

The driver tells me he doesn't have his license, and no, he doesn't have any id with him, and it's his friend's truck. No, he doesn't know where his friend is right now. Gives me a name and birthdate and all that, even with an address. Swears up and down to all this, even given numerous opportunities to come clean. I even give him time to think while I go back to the truck to "check stuff" and then ask him again.

Because, unfortunately for tonight's contestant - I'm the guy who pulled him over a month and a half ago, and gave him some tickets then - the time he did give me his real name and id. And I remember him, and how he looks - I double check it through my stuff but yep it is the same guy.

Which I of course confirm once I put the cuffs on him, find his wallet in his pants, and he admits to not only lying about it, but to remembering me as well.

So we turned a simple "driving without a license" issue into that plus a using fake id criminal charge - which means he now will be deported along with everything else, since he is here illegally.

No comments: