“May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”


"This report is maybe 12-years-old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, 10, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people . . . better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." ~ Captain Malcom Reynolds

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Perspectives

Kind of a follow-up to yesterday's Memorial Day.

This morning I had my annual Veteran's Administration physical, just their chance to check the status of my service-connected stuff & see if any new issues have cropped up (and yes, my health is still fine, for those who may care).

Every time I visit the VA Hospital I'm reminded how lucky I am.

I walk down the halls, and I am fortunate. I see people using canes. Prosthetic legs. Wheelchairs. Or having to be moved by someone else, because they can't anymore.

I look at my reflection in the glass, and am grateful I am not burdened with horrible scars or missing features or limbs.

I can answer the questions from the doctors and nurses, because I still am able to hear and speak.

I am able to see these things because I still have both my eyes.

And I am able to go home to my family at the end of it all, because I was able to come back and adjust to life without some of the issues others have; and because I still have a family to be with.

It just puts things into perspective how lucky I am, and how little right I have to complain for having come through this life relatively unscathed.

No comments: